Thursday, January 13, 2011

Severe Weather in Houston

The past few days I have been seeing commercials for Channel 2 talking about Severe Weather Coverage!! What on earth could they be referring to, you ask? It's not really hurricane season, so what are they so worried about!? A week or so ago I was watching the news and before going to a commercial they mentioned that when they came back, they would be talking about the severe weather in Houston! So, I stayed tuned to hear what all the fuss was about, just to find that it was nothing more than.......... The "FREEZING" temperatures here in Houston! =) Ha ha ha! It hasn't been above 50 degrees for about the past 5 days. This morning on my way to work at 6:30, it was 36 degrees! Apparently if you live in this part of the country where it's BLISTERING hot most of the year, it is a rare for it to drop so low. They made it seem like everyone should be in a frenzy to prepare for the "winter chill" as they call it. They're warning everyone to cover their plants, bring in their pets, turn off their sprinkling systems, etc. It just made me laugh when I saw "SEVERE WEATHER" and then all they were referring to was the fact that it's winter and the temperatures are around freezing!

I must say that I have LOVED the drop in temperature! I love fall and winter and LOVE to wear sweaters, boots, big coats and long jeans! The 11 and 13 year old girls I nanny for have said to me "BB, how come you look so fancy and stylish now?" I just cracked up, because I was wearing jeans and a sweater(nothing fancy), but to them it was fancy because normally I'm in shorts and a t-shirt with my hair pulled back and barely any makeup on! In my defense..........Let me just say that when it's hot a humid there is absolutely NO POINT in taking the time to blow dry my hair out straight and then take a curling iron to it because I walk outside where it's humid and it frizzes in two seconds! Also, when I'm constantly sweating, it is pointless to put all my makeup on because it's going to be sweat off in five minutes! So, I am soaking up these freezing days and enjoying them while they last! I guess I didn't know how much I missed winter and the FREEZING temperatures until they arrived=)

2 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the whole idea of not bothering to get ready when its so hot here - I LOVE the cold too and have been so happy that we can actually wear our scarves and jackets b/c it's cold - not just b/c it dropped below 70 and we want to wear them!!!

    but you always look cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder what they would have thought about the -12 that it was here a few mornings ago. I don't do my hair and put on makeup and I don't have humidity as an excuse...is that bad???

    ReplyDelete