Saturday, March 7, 2015

Well, we have made it beyond the 6 week mark!  I honestly can't believe it's gone by so quickly.  There were some days back in the beginning where it seemed like I was watching the clock tick minute by minute, just trying to survive until Joe got home from work.  I definitely had some emotional breakdowns during the first several weeks.  The tiredness, and learning how to juggle two children and try and meet all of their needs was SO hard!!  I broke down the day after we brought Madison home and my mom and Joe were even home with me!  Brooklynn was being so clingy and needy while we were doing Madison's photo shoot, and then the rest of the day it seems like she was being difficult.  I just collapsed in a heap on the couch and broke down.  It took 3 of us adults to care for her that day to meet her needs and try and keep her happy, and the thought of having to do it all by myself in just a couple of days when my mom was gone and Joe was at work was just too overwhelming.
  The next day was so nice, my mom took Brooklynn to the park for a while and I was able to sleep while Madison slept.  My mom was so helpful and I couldn't bare the thought of her leaving.
   I cried really hard when I dropped her off at the airport the next morning.  Everything seemed SO much harder now that I had another child to care for.  The combination of little sleep, and added responsibilities was enough to make me feel like I wanted to just crawl in a hole.  Surprisingly though, when I got home after dropping my mom off, I told myself "Ok, it's just you and these girls now for the rest of the day, and you can do this!"  We survived the day until Joe got home,  just fine.  I didn't get much else done that day, and I'm almost certain we had leftovers for dinner, but I survived, WE survived.
  Over the next days, weeks, and months, I have had several break downs, and several moments of thinking "Heavenly Father, please help me, I can't do this by myself!"  My patience has been tried more than it ever has in my entire life and I have questioned our decision to have kids so close together, on numerous occasions, but at the end of the day there is nothing that gives my life more meaning and satisfaction than caring for these two sweet girls.  A day of frustration and tears from listening to one child cry while I met the needs of the other, or vice versa, was soothed with a simple hug and an "I love you mommy" or a sleepy grin from Madison.  Things will hopefully get easier as I continue to adjust to having two children.

No comments:

Post a Comment