Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Miracle Stitch

10-3-12 I'm eleven weeks pregnant this week, and I had my cerclage put in today.  We had to go to a surgical center early this morning. Time has flown by!  I couldn't believe it was already time to have the stitch put in!  This will hopefully be the answer to our prayers of being able to have a child.
I started feeling really nervous after we got there.  I really didn't know what to expect.  The last time I had been somewhere like that, was when I had my d&c done to remove the piece of the placenta that was still in my uterus after I lost our baby.  I got changed into a gown like last time, had an IV put in, and then a bunch of wires hooked up.  The nurse was so sweet, and made me feel comfortable up until Dr. Cook came back to talk to us.  When he arrived I knew it was "go time" and my heart started racing. The unknown is scary, especially when it comes to medical procedures.  I'm not sure how he actually put the stitch in, and I really didn't want to know.  I think I stressed less because I didn't know exactly what my body was about to go through.  My doctor is so sweet and I trust him 100%.  Of course, he and Joe had to talk about Aggie Football before Joe headed to the waiting room.=)

All I can say is thank heaven for anesthesia.  Today was a little different from my last surgery because I remember more.  Last time I didn't remember even saying goodbye to Joe.  This time they started the medication through my IV right before they started to wheel me back to the operating room.  I felt really nervous then.  I remember being pushed down the hall into a different room and them asking me to move over from the bed to something else.  Not sure if it was a table, or what.  I remember lifting myself over, and that's all I remember. I don't have any bruises, so I'm assuming I was successful at moving my body before the medication completely knocked me out. =) Waking up this time was a little more rough.  I would wake up a little, then feel SO tired and totally zonk out again.  This happened repeatedly.  After about the 3rd time I started to feel frustrated with myself a little, because I wanted to wake up and see Joe but I really had no control over my body.  I had the sweetest nurses before and after.  I had to eat some crackers, drink some water, and they wanted me to go to the restroom before they would let me leave.  Joe came back and helped me get dressed.  I was still SO out of it.  They wheeled me out to the car in a wheelchair, and then we headed home.  When we got home I took my pain meds and went to bed.  I slept most of that day.  The anesthesia just totally knocked me out all day.  They had prescribed a pain medication that really kept me from feeling much discomfort afterward.  So thankful for that!  It's exciting to know now that the cerclage is in, and that this pregnancy I have a better chance of making it full term.  My doctor said that once he got in to do the surgery, it was very apparent that I do in fact have a weak cervix.  So, that's a relief that he for sure knows that's what was the cause of my last miscarriage. Everything happens for a reason, and I guess the timing of this pregnancy worked out well.  Heavenly Father must have known we didn't need to do the other tests that we had scheduled before I found out I was pregnant.  We feel much better that our chances of finally having a baby join our family are much higher now.  There are still a lot of things that could go wrong, but we're just going to have faith and trust in God's plan for us. We can get through anything, as long as Joe and I have each other.  
The nurse on the right helped me before the surgery, and the one on the right helped me afterward.  They were both so sweet!  







2 comments:

  1. Wow, aren't you so glad you live in this day and age? Our first was breech and we probably both would have died without modern medicine. I am happy for you and keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the cerclage is helping you and that the procedure went well. Anesthesia is so interesting. I have also felt the difficulty coming out of it.

    ReplyDelete