Sunday, May 30, 2010

Grandpa's Visit


Joe's grandpa flew to Texas from Minnesota to visit the family a few weeks ago. He got to see his kids, grandkids and great grandkids! Sharon, Shelby, and I had never met him so it was great to finally do so! His health is deteriorating and Bob and Sharon wanted to get him out here at least one more time. On Saturday we had a bbq here at the pool at our apartments. Of course, the one day we plan to do something at the pool it had to rain. Luckily we had rented the cabana area at our pool and it was covered. Joe was grilling in the rain, and the grill was so slow that we eventually took everything back to our apartment and pulled out almost every pan we own, plus our griddle to get everything cooked. Maggie, Joe, James, and I all went swimming and had a blast.

Everyone visiting and enjoying themselves. Bob and Sharon, Dave, Serena, and Maggie, James and Shelby, Bob's Mom and her friend, Bob's sister-in-law and her grandchild, Bob's sister, grandpa, and Joe and I were all there. We had a lot of fun just visiting. It ended up being good that it rained because it was a lot cooler for those that didn't want to swim. Those that wanted to swim still did!=) I should have taken more pictures of everyone, but I was focusing on helping Joe get the food done!


Bob and Debbie (his sister-in-law)

Maggie enjoying her soda

Joe grilling in the rain. He put two umbrellas over by the grill to try and keep covered. We were both totally soaked by the time we got the food cooked.

Bob, Sharon, and Grandpa stayed Saturday and Sunday nights with us. Joe got him to play the wii! He bowled and did awesome! It was fun to watch him. What a sport!=)

Watching grandpa at times broke my heart. He reminded me a lot of Zsa during her final months. He had a terrible time breathing sometimes and would take a while to catch his breath. Our guest bed was too soft for him so we made the couch up. He needed pillows to prop him up to stay comfortable. He likes sleeping with the tv on so we left it on all night for him. I found myself worrying about him and cracking our bedroom door open several times during the night just to look out and check on him. Sometimes he was sleeping sitting up because he could breath better. Just like Zsa did, he kept saying how awful it was to get old. Being around him really made me miss Zsa. Things just reminded me of her and the struggles she faced. It's just hard to watch someone struggling.
I took this picture at about 6am monday morning before Joe took grandpa to the airport. Apparently Joe was still asleep=) ha ha!

We enjoyed the weekend with family, and I'm really grateful that I got to meet Joe's grandpa!


No comments:

Post a Comment